HISTORIC DOWNTOWN TOUR
Bell Street Bridge -
The Bell Street Bridge represents a crucial link to travel and commerce and serves as a reminder of the time and effort
made to keep this corridor open. Built in 1926, the present bridge is the third to span the river in this location. Unlike its predecessors, it was designed to accommodate automobile traffic. Characterized by the
"W" configuration made by its truss work, it is one of the longest of its kind in Montana and represents a significant engineering accomplishment.
Water Treatment Plant - The National Register-listed water treatment plant was the
city's solution to the water supply and quality problems that it had struggled with from the beginning. Modernization and expansion occurred in 1941 and 1960 but the original sections of the building remain in use.
The Glendive Milling Company - This flour mill represents the historic importance of agriculture to the Glendive-area economy and a local attempt to base an industry on it. The company
was incorporated in 1917 and had a board of directors consisting of local businessmen Charles Krug, Frank Kinney, and F. C. Hughes and two Billings businessmen. It was later owned by several
parties, greatly enlarged and converted to a feed production plant. It is now the home of Yellowstone Recycling.
Methodist Church - Brynjulf Rivenes designed and Wallace T. Perham built the English Gothic-style First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1909. Notable design
features include the crenellated (notched-edged) bell tower, pointed arches and multi-colored brickwork, the beautiful stained glass windows and the massive pipe organ.
Krug Mansion -
This neoclassical home was built in 1906 and 1907 for millionaire stockman Charles Krug and his family. The 8,000 sq. foot home has twenty-five rooms and is in near-original
condition, with grand hallways, elaborate woodwork, two oak fireplaces, and nine bedrooms. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places and was owned and occupied by Krug family members until 1996.
City Hall - The work of Brynjulf Rivenes can
again be appreciated in the Glendive City Hall. Constructed in 1914
by Wallace T. Perham, the Neoclassical design once featured an
imposing bell tower and grand covered entrance. Still existing today
are its beautifully proportioned columns, Ionic-style capitals and
elaborate cornice and symmetrical elements.
Masonic Temple - One of Glendive's earliest buildings, the Masonic Temple home to the Burt
Johnson Drugstore downstairs and the Masonic Temple upstairs, was dedicated in 1890. Also upstairs, an opera house with a seating capacity of 179 was a welcome addition to Glendive
society. A few original design features survive despite extensive remodeling in 1913.
Stipek Building - The 1901 façade of the Stipek building was completely replaced in the 1930s
with Carrara glass, glass block, heavy metal framed windows, an angled corner entryway and the word "Lulhaven" spelled out in neon. It is an outstanding representation of the Art Deco
style, and the only one in the historic district.
Rivenes-Wester & Krug Buildings - Next to the Lulhaven are the twin buildings designed by Brynjulf Rivenes for his brother David's hardware
business and the Krug building next to it between 1909 and 1910. The once identical Neoclassical-style facades are not exactly identical today, but the prominent and decoratively
carved capitals remain as evidence that they were a matched set.
BNSF Depot - Glendive's most significant remaining railroad-related building is the Northern< Pacific Railroad Depot which was built in 1922 after the original burned down. This new depot and headquarters was designed by architect O.
M. Rognan, and built by Winston-Grant Company, the largest railroad contractor in the northwest at that time. It was constructed of concrete and Hebron brick at a cost of over $200,000.
Frontier Gateway Museum
: Located just north of Glendive, the museum offers an original
rural schoolhouse, a log cabin, railroad cars, and displays of
local history, fossils, old-time stores and World War II
memorabilia. Open Memorial Day through Labor Day from 9 am. to 5
p.m. and by request during off-season.
Makoshika State Park : A mile from Glendive is 8,123 acres
of primitive terrain where dinosaurs once roamed. Today it belongs
to the turkey vultures, coyotes, and deer who forage through the
canyons, crags and unique gumbo knobs that form the pristine
skyline. Take a self-guided tour that chronicles 74 million years
in the Visitor Center, featuring a triceratops skull found in the
Cars in The Park: Held annually the last weekend in June,
the Badlands Drifters Car Club's vintage car show regularly draws
up to 200 vehicles and includes a poker run, dance, craft show and
food and drinks on the banks of the Yellowstone.
Paddlefishing : From May 30th to June 15th sportsmen from
around the world line up along the banks of the Yellowstone to
snag these huge fish, some weighing over 100 lbs. Paddlefish roe
is donated to the Glendive Chamber of Commerce for processing into
world class Caviar, proceeds from which benefit recreational
DCAU Gallery : Local and area artist are featured
prominently in The Gallery, located in Glendive's West Plaza Mall.
The Gallery has tours for students, with a different artist
featured each month.
County Fair & Rodeo : August of each year brings the Dawson
County Fair in Glendive, featuring authentic western fun. Take in
the rodeos, a Bump-N-Run and Motocross Race, exhibits, live
entertainment and carnival.
Bell Street Bridge Day: Celebrate Glendive's historic Bell
Street Bridge on September 15th by taking in the Historic District
Tour, craft show, cycle show, live entertainment, food and drinks
Demolition Derbies: Demo Derby's are a popular sport in
eastern Montana and Glendive's biggest derby is held annually on
the 4th of July.
Hollecker Lake: Located on Highway 16 just north of town,
this picturesque park features picnic areas with BBQ pits and a
swimming pond. The pond is stocked for good fishing too.
Shopping: Glendive is home to several unique gift and
antique shops. Contact the chamber for more details!
Cottonwood Country Club: offers a scenic 9-hole, 3,200 yard
public golf course as well as a pro shop, lounge and meeting
Agate and fossil hunting: Beautiful moss agates are
plentiful along the banks of the Yellowstone and fossils wait to