Sidney, Montana's Sunrise City, is
nestled in the Yellowstone River Valley of eastern Montana, the hub
of a regional agriculture and energy economy. The county seat of
Richland County, Sidney is a Tree City USA and the home of about
5,000 residents and 400 businesses.
History on Lewis & Clark
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark visited our area twice while on
the Corps of Discovery. They started the unmapped portion of the
journey at the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers.
On their way home Capt. Clark followed the Yellowstone River and
passed right by present day Sidney on his way back to the
confluence. His return trip from Traveler's Rest down the
Yellowstone took only 32 days. In comparison the trip up the
Missouri to Traveler's Rest took 134 days. He was near Sidney for
his birthday in 1806 and also came in contact with a grizzly bear
near present day Savage. Otherwise the trip was fast and all were
very excited to get home.
"new" animals that they discovered were abundant in our area.
Buffalo roamed freely in tremendous herds. Grizzly bears feasted on
the fish and wildlife in our area. The mosquitoes were mentioned
the most of all during their time through our area. Capt. Lewis
could not stay at the confluence to wait for Capt. Clark because of
the grand numbers of mosquitoes that tortured the men and Seaman the
For more information please stop at the Chamber as we are also a
Lewis & Clark Visitor Center.
We have a wide variety of information & souvenirs available on Lewis
Souvenirs & Prices
* Free pamphlets & brochures on a wide variety of information about
Lewis and Clark.
* "Along the Trail with Lewis & Clark" Map $9.95
* Lewis & Clark Coverlet $60.00
* Lewis & Clark & Sacagawea Teddy Bears $10.00
* Adult & Kids Books, Prices Vary
* "Lewis & Clark Montana's Story" Video $12.00
* Lewis & Clark Denim Shirts $39.00
* Lewis & Clark Sweatshirts (Small Print) $23.00
* Lewis & Clark Sweatshirts (Large Print) $29.00
* Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Collector's Pins $3.00 each
*Lewis & Clark Milk Chocolate & Sacagawea Dark Chocolate w/
Raspberry Candy Bars $1.25 each
* "Day-By-Day with the Lewis & Clark Expedition" Calendar $12.95
Plus we have pamphlets, brochures & maps on:
* Richland County
* Maps & Visitor's Guides from places all over Montana.
* Maps of almost every state.
* Fishing & Hunting Regulations
* And more...